History of Canyon Lake

In 1882, a railroad line was built from Perris to Elsinore by the California Southern Railroad.  Between the years of 1884 and 1927, flooding from the San Jacinto River and Salt Creek repeatedly washed out the tracks, and the line was abandoned.
In 1927, a dam was built across the San Jacinto River to store water, and through the years the land changed hands several times.  In 1968, Canyon Lake was developed as a master-planned vacation community by the Corona Land Development Company.
On December 1, 1990, the private gated community incorporated and became the City of Canyon Lake.  The Canyon Lake areas outside the gates also fall under the jurisdiction of the Canyon Lake City Council.

Historical Photography Provided By

From the book: